Springtime on the Homestead



It's finally spring out here in the woods. After a long stretch of below average temperatures, way below average rainfall and mostly above average winds, I am finally able to transplant some of the many, many seedlings that have been suffering in the greenhouse.

The sunshine is nice, but I have to be aware of heat and UV exposure. It's easy to overdo when there are so many chores to get done, especially since I tend to push myself to get just a few more plants into the ground, do a little more watering and prep just one more bed.

I'm not the only creature out getting started on what is now a shortened growing season. Birds are singing their mating songs and building nests. A pair of roadrunners has been staying close to a large cedar tree where they've built a nest. Whitetail deer are moving in larger groups, but soon the does will go off on their own to prepare for birthing their fawns.

The frogs and toads have been singing most nights, trying to attract mates and we see quite a few lizards as we work around the yard and garden.

Kathy discovered the small frog perched on the ceramic frog's leg a few days ago. It has returned every day since.

I've already killed two stinkbugs, before they've had a chance to lay their eggs, raising my hope that we won't have such a bad infestation this year.

Things are coming to life and I'm coming out of hibernation. I think it's going to be an interesting summer.

Stephen P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Acting My Age