It's the Waiting



Things have been tough lately, what with having to prioritize. There are things that I would like to do, things I seriously want to do, things that have to get done soon in order to meet a goal, and things I need to do to meet obligations.

I would really like to get out and hunt for mushrooms, so I don't miss morel season again this year and I would like to build a small hugelkultur bed, just to try it out.

Then there are all those leaves and pine needles that I haven't gotten raked up yet. I have plenty in the shady corner of my garden, as well as between rows, but I will want more as things get big enough for mulching. Oh, and I want to prepare some beds out front for more pepper plants and a few other things

I've got to get tomatoes and peppers transplanted into the garden or I will have to repot them. Soon. But the weather forecast seems to always have just one more freeze before it's safe to set out tender plants.

That novel that was due on the 25th was moved up to the 14th, but I was able to negotiate second week in May. I signed a contract and while I could get out of it, I would be letting a lot of people down. And I'd be letting myself down.

While I can usually buckle down and get a novel done, this is very different writing from what I usually do. I can force myself to sit in front of the computer, but the creative process takes time.

I can't go great guns in the garden until the novel is done and the weather is warm. It's driving me crazy. There are these little breaks when I'm waiting for feedback from my editor and I get out and do some more soil prep. Then I go into the greenhouse and see all of the dozens of plants getting too big for their pots and I try to convince myself that the next freeze won't happen. But if it does, I'd  be sorry I jumped the gun.

Sigh.

Stephen P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Acting My Age