To-Do List

There is so much to do outside this time of year, but with an expected high of 28 degrees tomorrow, nothing is getting done. I'm already behind my own arbitrary schedule. A few ambitious days when it's warmer will catch things up. For now, I'm making a to-do list.

First, I'm ordering more seeds. I would like to have a cash crop of some kind this year. At least a small one, sort of a foothold in farming. I've concluded that my best bet this year is to go with peppers. I did fairly well growing peppers this past season and I think I can do even better this coming year.

Planting season is almost here--well, not really, but time flies, so it will seem like no time at all. Here at the eve of a new year seems like a good time to work out a plan. Now this to-do list shouldn't be confused with New Year's resolutions. No, this is a way to procrastinate making a list of resolutions.

I have twenty-four varieties of hot pepper seeds and five varieties of bell peppers. That's a lot of seeds. First, I need to decide how many plants of each variety I want.

I know I'll use more jalapenos for cooking and eating than any of the other variety, so I'll want two of those just for household use. I'll also use quite a few for hot sauce.

I count eleven varieties I'll dry for making chili powders and eight more for sauces. I'll need to figure out how many plants of each. There are a few others I'll want to use fresh, but I won't need in large quantities.

The bell peppers are great for dicing and freezing, and we use several a week in cooking, so I'll want plenty of them.

I'll have plenty of extra seeds that I hope to plant and sell as transplants.

So far, I think I can find a market for fresh peppers, dried peppers, pepper powders, sauces, transplants and maybe salsas. If I manage to produce and sell two of those items, it will be a great start. I'm not betting the farm, so to speak, but a little ambition never hurt anyone.

Tomorrow I'll think about tomatoes.

Stephen P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Acting My Age