Ramen is Noodles

Until last night, I had never had ramen. I'm not talking about the ramen they serve in noodle restaurants, with the clear bone broth, green onions, seaweed, soft-boiled egg, bean sprouts and a rasher of braised pork. Not that I've ever had that, either. No, I mean Top Ramen, the little orange package with a brick of dry noodles and a "flavor packet."

I have had the noodles cooked with a can of Swanson chicken broth, or occasionally, beef broth, but I've never known the joy of tossing the noodles and flavoring into two cups of water and cooking just below boiling until the noodles are tender. The package directions are a little different, but I've never seen anyone follow the package directions.

Back in the Sixties, I discovered I was extremely sensitive to MSG (monosodium glutamate). I don't get an allergic reaction or anything like that: no hives, wheezing or tongue swelling up; I just feel really fatigued for several days and have mild flu-like symptoms. I first discovered this after eating barbeque potato chips.

MSG is a naturally-occurring non-essential amino acid (according to Wikipedia. I do, by the way, donate $15.00 a year to help keep Wikipedia going. They don't pay me for the plug, I pay them for the research resource). MSG has been used for over a hundred years as a flavor enhancer in various foods, especially to stretch the flavor of chicken in canned and dried soups. Those who tell you that the Chinese have used MSG for thousands of years never looked it up on Wikipedia.

All of the ramen brands and flavors have used MSG in their little flavor packets for as long as I have been aware of the stuff. While a billion or so college students have been living on the cheap, quick-to-fix noodles, I have looked on with envy from the sidelines. Recently, Kathy asked me to make her a bowl of ramen. I, being the chief chef around here, complied. As I was about to tear open the package (the last one in the cabinet, by the way), I noticed the words "No Added MSG." They specified "Added" because monosodium glutamate occurs natural in many foods, including tomatoes. More and more products have been removing MSG from their products, but I never expected it of Top Ramen. The next time we went to the store, I bought half a dozen packages.

Last night, for the first time, I made some for me. I checked the directions so I would know how much water to use, but then tossed everything in the pot together as is the traditional way for lazy people to do it. Soon, the noodles were tender (I don't crush up the noodles like some people because of the Japanese superstition about shortening the noodles shortening ones life).

After pouring the pot into a large bowl I sat down and tried it. To my happy surprise, I liked it. I liked it so much, I will likely have it again. The broth was light and not terribly salty, like I had expected, and had a nice chicken-y flavor. I look forward to my next bowl.

The best part is, now I have a 33 cent meal alternative, just like generations of college students. Oh, and by the way, "ramen" is the Japanese word for "noodles."

Ramen is noodles.

Stephen P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Acting My Age