Ranch Dressing Made Easy

Ranch dressing is one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind--and most addictive, too! Growing up I had my choice of Thousand Island, French, Russian, Catalina and Italian. And at school we got Miracle Whip. Occasionally I used Blue Cheese, but that was rare. When I was in high school, somebody invented Creamy Italian and I didn't use anything else for years. A creamy dressing that wasn't sweet was a whole new concept. I'm not sure exactly when Ranch Dressing came into being, but I've used it ever since. I do love a good Caesar salad, but I'm not fond of bottled Caesar dressing.

Over the years I've enjoyed a few variations on Ranch, such as Peppercorn Ranch, but I always come back to original. Oh, and I'm talking about Hidden Valley Ranch. Other brands just don't get the job done.

Then I discovered Ranch dressing recipes online and I've been tweaking the recipes and developing (okay, that sounds like I've worked at it, but not so much) for my own taste ever since. Most recipes I've found are basically the same except for exchanging vinegar for lemon juice or dried herbs for fresh. The main thing is, they're all easy and I don't buy bottled Ranch anymore.


Simply Ranch

1/2 Cup mayonnaise
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. diced onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Place all ingredients except milk into blender. Pulse to mix and break up garlic and onion. Add milk as needed to thin. Blend to even consistency, pour into a jar or bottle and refrigerate for at least one hour.

This dressing will last several weeks in the refrigerator, but never seems to last that long--and it's so easy to make.


Variations

For variety:

Cucumber Ranch

Add 1/2 average cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and coarsely chopped, to the blender with the other ingredients.

Honey Mustard Ranch

Stir 1 Tbsp. honey mustard into finished dressing until thoroughly mixed.

Stephen P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Busy-ness