Dewberry Season

First, let me say, that there is a fine line between a blog and a Christmas newsletter. I probably stomp all over that line at times. In some respects, I'm trying to find the current focus for the blog, but I'm stretched a bit right now. In addition to the two blogs: I'm writing a Christmas play for the 84 year old Little Theatre in Winston-Salem, NC; we're deep into gardening season; and now it's dewberry season.

But first, Rose didn't like the photo of her I used in my last post, so here's a better one.


Like I said, things are crazy right now. Hot weather moved in early, so my radishes bolted and my peas only produced one meager picking. Various weather issues and other things forced me to pare down the garden, so I'll try to get carrots and kale planted in time for a fall garden. Right now, I need to be getting mulch made and put down, plus, I think it's time to restart my compost pile. The tomatoes continue needing to be raised up on their stakes or trellises, and the pepper plants should have already been staked. Plus, I still have more transplanting to do--and don't forget watering.

All of that will now be on hold because of this:


Dewberries.

Dewberries are closely related to blackberries. They grow on canes along the ground rather than in mounds like blackberries. We don't prefer one over another, but the woods is already full of dewberries that take care of themselves and produce a bumper crop for all the wildlife to eat, plus extra for us to enjoy. This looks to be a really good year. We picked over five gallons last year. We had a little help.

Kathy picked the bowl of berries above in about ten minutes a few days ago. I love them on my morning yogurt and the boys make dewberry/kale smoothies every day or so.

The secret to picking dewberries is this: make yourself get out there and do it.

If you need me, I'll be in the woods.

Stephen P.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Changes

Busy-ness