Prime Time of Doom



Sunday night is where CBS sends its shows to die. I can't prove this, but I think it is self-evident.
It would probably be easy enough to research, but I think I can make a convincing argument without so much exertion.

First of all, why would a network want to kill off a show? Well, money. The longer a popular show runs, the more money the actors are worth, the more money the writers are worth, and the more expensive the crew of special effects, stunt and prop people become. This would all be well and fine, except that the potential ad revenue eventually plateaus and stops covering all the increased cost.

Second, you might ask, how does moving a show to Sunday evening kill it off? Simple. Sports. There are games earlier in the day that throw the schedule off causing the show to be on late or preempted altogether. This is especially irritating for people who set DVRs and still miss forty minutes of the show.

And don't forget the games on other channels competing in the time slot.

Third, when did this terrible practice start? I'm not sure, but I can remember my dad complaining about it twenty-five years ago.

CSI: Miami is a recent example. The spinoff of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation starred David Caruso, Emily Proctor and Rory Cochrane and I don't think I have to explain the show. It seemed obvious from the time it made its move that the Miami franchise was on its way out.

Now, the original CSI is about gone. After the midseason break, there will be no more CSI, just a spinoff, CSI:Cyber. William Petersen starred in the original incarnation of the show, along with Marg Helgenberger and Jorja Fox. Petersen has been followed by Lawrence Fishburne and Ted Danson and both did a great job reviving the show.

I guess Criminal Minds will be my next show to move to Sundays. Boo, hiss, CBS. Boo, hiss.

Don't forget, my new novel, Eaters Too, is now available as an e-book at Amazon.com.


Please check it out at
amazon.com/author/scottstephen








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes

Country Code and Shooting Dogs

Springtime on the Homestead